The Khedivial Opera House or Royal Opera House was an opera house in Cairo, Egypt. It opened on 1 November 1869 and burned down on 28 October 1971.
The opera house was built on the orders of the Khedive Ismail to celebrate the opening of the Suez Canal. The architects Pietro Avoscani (from Livorno) and Rossi designed the building. It seated approximately 850 people and was made mostly of wood. It was located between the districts of Azbakeya and Ismailyya in Egypt's capital city.
Verdi's opera Rigoletto was the first opera performed at the opera house on 1 November 1869. Ismail planned a grander opening for his new theatre. After months of delay due to the outbreak of the Franco-Prussian War, Verdi's new opera, Aida, received its world premiere at the Khedivial Opera House on 24 December 1871.
In the early morning hours of 28 October 1971, the opera house burned to the ground. The all-wooden building was quickly consumed, and only two statues made by Mohamed Hassan survived.
After the original opera house was destroyed, Cairo was without an opera house for nearly two decades until the opening of the new Cairo Opera House in 1988.
The site of the Khedivial Opera House has been rebuilt into multi-story concrete car garage.